Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Today's Musical Meditations: Funkadelic "Cosmic Slop"

Today's Musical Meditation:

"I can hear my mother call. . . Father, father it's for the kids...any and every thing I did. Please, please don't judge me too strong. Lord knows I meant no wrong.."




FUNKADELIC "COSMIC SLOP" 1973

I love this song about an impoverished mother with five children who has resorted to prostitution in order to support her family. Although she tries to shield her children from the knowledge that they are poor and she is a prostitute, every night the narrator hears his mother beg God for forgiveness and understanding for doing what she has to do for the sake of her children.

* Lead Vocals: Garry Shider
* Guitars: Garry Shider, Ron Bykowski, Eddie Hazel
* Drums: Tyrone Lampkin
* Bass: Cordell Boogie Mosson

This is one of the most popular P Funk songs among fans of the group, and is often played in live shows. George Clinton later compared himself to the subject of the song(a woman who becomes a prostitute to feed her children) because he was forced to use his celebrity-status in commercials due to severe financial difficulties.

I think we can all relate to this in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment